At least 13 dead and dozens injured in furnace explosion at nickel factory in Indonesia | World News
At least 13 dead and dozens injured in furnace explosion at nickel factory in Indonesia | World News
At least 13 people have been killed and dozens injured after a smelter furnace explosion at a nickel factory in Indonesia, officials said.
The blast at Morowali industrial park on Sulawesi Island took place during furnace maintenance at around 5.30am local time.
About 38 people were taken to hospital, police said, some in a critical condition.
At least five Chinese and eight Indonesian workers died when the furnace suddenly exploded while they were repairing it, Central Sulawesi police chief Agus Nugroho said.
The blast was so powerful it demolished the furnace and damaged parts of the side walls of the building, he added.
Authorities are working to determine whether negligence by the company led to the deaths, the police chief said.
The explosion is the latest in a series of deadly accidents at Chinese-owned nickel smelting plants in Indonesia.
Nickel has become increasingly crucial for Indonesia, the world’s biggest nickel producer, with billions of dollars of global investment flowing in after the government banned exports of unprocessed ore in 2020.
Nickel is a key component in global battery production for electric vehicles.
Read more from Sky News: Iranian drone behind attack on chemical tanker, Pentagon says Eight Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza
Image: Morowali industrial park on Sulawesi Island. Pic: @yaniarsim
The accident happened at PT Indonesia Tsingshan Stainless Steel.
“We sincerely apologise for this incident and we are working closely with authorities to investigate what caused the accident,” company spokesperson Deddy Kurniawan said.
Rescuers extinguished the fire and evacuated workers after a nearly four-hour operation, he added.
A preliminary investigation showed there were explosive liquids at the bottom of the furnace that triggered a fire and explosion in nearby oxygen cylinders.
Fourteen Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza as ground operation continues | World News
Fourteen Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza as ground operation continues | World News
Fourteen Israeli soldiers have been killed fighting in Gaza over the weekend, the Israeli military has said.
The deaths take the number of Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) killed to 152 since its ground operation began on 20 October.
Some 480 IDF personnel have died since Hamas launched its incursion on 7 October.
The Hamas-run Palestinian health ministry said on Sunday at least 68 Palestinians were killed following an Israeli air strike that hit central Gaza’s Maghazi refugee camp.
This weekend’s deaths represent some of the bloodiest days of the conflict so far – and suggest Hamas is still as committed to its cause as it was when it started.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said in a video statement on Sunday the war was extracting a heavy price but added: “We are doing everything to safeguard the lives of our warriors.”
He said his country’s forces are going deeper into the Gaza Strip and that they will fight on until “total victory” over Hamas.
Image: Gazans search the rubble after an attack on the Nuseirat refugee camp on Saturday
The IDF released further details of an operation to dismantle a network of Hamas tunnels, where the bodies of five hostages – Warrant Officer Ziv Dado, Sergeant Ron Sherman, Corporal Nik Beizer, Eden Zacharia, and Elia Toledano – were recovered.
Many Hamas fighters were killed and hundreds of weapons found, the IDF said, in what it said was the group’s northern headquarters in Gaza.
The tunnel network, which included two levels, passed beneath a school and a hospital and was connected to a shaft leading to the residence of the Commander of Hamas’ Northern Brigade, Ahmad Andur, the IDF said.
Hamas said on Saturday it had lost contact with a group responsible for five Israeli hostages being held captive in the Gaza Strip due to Israeli bombardment.
It comes after the UN fell short of calling for a humanitarian ceasefire on Friday, instead passing a resolution for increased aid to be transported into Gaza.
The US abstained from the vote, as Israel’s most powerful ally. The resolution sparked criticism from both Israel and Hamas.
According to the Hamas-run Palestinian health ministry, 20,424 people have been killed in Gaza since 7 October, including 166 this weekend.
Figures from the World Programme recently revealed that a quarter of Gaza’s population is starving, with the vast majority also displaced.
In Israel, 1,200 people have been killed and 240 were taken hostage by Hamas and other militant groups. The Israeli military is still fighting for the release of 129 remaining captives.
In Bethlehem, the devastation caused by the conflict has been reflected in the traditional Nativity scene in Manger Square, with characters surrounded by barbed wire and rubble.
A UN official criticised Israel on Saturday after it issued another evacuation order, telling people in Gaza to move towards Deir al Balah, despite it being hit this week.
Israeli forces have said they are expanding their offensive in the north and south, and troops are fighting in “complex areas” in Khan Younis, the territory’s second-largest city, where Israel believes Hamas leaders are hiding.
Heavy Israeli bombardment and gunfire were reported on Sunday morning in the town of Jabaliya, an area north of Gaza City that Israel had previously claimed to control.
Meanwhile, the IDF said on Sunday it responded to “numerous launches toward the area of Keren Naftali, northern Israel”.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
2:13
‘Quiet and unprecedented’ in Bethlehem
Image: Bethlehem’s Nativity scene in Manger Square is surrounded by rubble and barbed wire
The conflict has spread to the Red Sea this month with Iran-backed Houthi rebels attacking Israeli-affiliated commercial ships.
Vessels have been forced to re-route away from the Suez Canal, adding an average 10 days to their journeys to Europe.
On Saturday, Israel continued to target Hezbollah targets inside Lebanon, where one of the 14 IDF soldiers was killed over the weekend.
Israel-Hamas war: The impossible conditions for children born into conflict | World News
Israel-Hamas war: The impossible conditions for children born into conflict | World News
Imagine having not one, but two babies born in the middle of war.
Lina Hammad gave birth to twins in Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis.
It should be a time of celebration, but the stress of keeping the infants, and two other children alive, is all-consuming.
The impact of war always hits the most vulnerable.
Speaking from a damp, cold room in Khan Younis, Lina explains she had a difficult birth and needed anaesthetic and medicine that the hospital didn’t have because of the war.
Image: Lina Hammad says she was not given anaesthetic during birth of her twins
She says the conditions are impossible: “We are sitting on blankets on a cement floor. There are no vaccinations. We need nappies, milk and clothes.”
There are four children in the family, all of them are sick.
“It’s cold, the wind comes in and it’s hard for the children,” she says. “They have chest infections and diarrhoea.”
There’s a gnawing fear among Gaza‘s parents, how do they save their children from the war, hunger and disease that is now ravaging the Gaza Strip?
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
2:13
‘Quiet and unprecedented’ in Bethlehem
The aid agency Save the Children says Gaza is now the world’s most dangerous place to be a child.
More children have died in this war than in all the world’s major conflicts combined over the last three years. It’s staggering.
Lina can’t even contact her own mother. Like all the enclave’s infrastructure, Gaza’s telecommunications system has broken down.
As for her children, Lina says: “They are still coughing, I swear they can’t sleep at night. I fear for them. Last night my son was suffocating.”
Quality of life has plummeted
While Gaza is in the grips of a man-made humanitarian catastrophe, in the other Palestinian territory – the occupied West Bank – tension is boiling.
Palestinians say Israeli arrests, raids and road closures across the West Bank is making life for those living under Israeli military occupation, go from bad to worse.
Read more: Chemical tanker attacked in Indian Ocean Pro-Palestine protesters disrupt Oxford Street Bethlehem praying for a ceasefire this Christmas as war rages on
Israel says its military action in the territory is targeted at armed fighters, Palestinian militant groups and rioters.
The UN reports that this has been the deadliest year on record for Palestinians across the West Bank, by miles.
According to the agency’s Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA), 457 Palestinians have been killed in the territory this year.
Thirty-five Israelis have also been killed in the West Bank.
In the folds of the hills and olive groves lies the village of Husan, with a population of 10,000 people. It is reeling from the impact of daily raids by the Israeli military.
Its residents tell Sky News that since the 7 October deadly rampage by Hamas, their quality of life has plummeted to a new low.
Image: Mahmoud Zeoul was killed during an Israeli raid
On Wednesday, 18-year-old Mahmoud Zeoul, was killed during an Israeli raid.
His family say he was shot dead by the Israeli military.
In a statement to Sky News the Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) said there had been a riot in the village and Palestinians had thrown explosives and stones. It says it’s investigating the death.
Image: Safaa Zeoul says the Israeli military raids the West Bank every day
But his mother, Safaa Zeoul, says: “The (Israeli) army raids the area every day. They occupy our land and it’s natural to resist them.
“We don’t have weapons but stones. They respond to stones with snipers. They are afraid of stones.”
When we visited the family, people from the local village came by to pay their respects. Local women told us they are afraid about their sons’ futures.
Tension is boiling in the West Bank
“What is going on in the West Bank is the reaction to what is happening in Gaza,” Ms Zeoul says.
“They (the IDF) shoot people indiscriminately.”
A short drive from Husan is the Christian city of Bethlehem. But there are no Christmas celebrations this year, it’s been cancelled.
Image: Daniella Dukmak is a resident in Bethlehem
With war raining down on Gaza, the West Bank’s Christian community is mourning their friends and family displaced and killed in the southern coastal enclave.
“In 25 years I’ve never witnessed such an incredibly sad Christmas,” Bethlehem resident, Daniella Dukmak, says.
“This Christmas, we can’t turn a blind eye to what’s going on in Gaza.”
أكثر من 20 ألف شهيد و54 ألف مصاب.. وتحذيرات غربية من توسيع العمليات العسكرية للاحتلال
أكثر من 20 ألف شهيد و54 ألف مصاب.. وتحذيرات غربية من توسيع العمليات العسكرية للاحتلال
غزة – وكالات:
في اليوم الـ79 من العدوان الإسرائيلي على غزة. قالت وزارة الصحة في غزة: إن ما لا يقل عن 166 فلسطينياً قتلوا في القطاع خلال الساعات الأربع والعشرين الماضية، كما أصيب 384. وأضافت الوزارة أن ذلك يرفع العدد الإجمالي إلى 20.424 قتيلاً، و54.036 مصاباً منذ السابع من أكتوبر.
ونزح كل سكان غزة تقريباً، وعددهم 2.3 مليون نسمة، يقطنون إحدى أكثر المناطق اكتظاظاً بالسكان في العالم. وفي مدينة خان يونس الكبيرة بجنوب غزة، حيث تصاعدت أعمدة الدخان بعد القصف، تم نقل الجثث والجرحى إلى مستشفى ناصر.
واتهم المتحدث باسم وزارة الصحة في القطاع أشرف القدرة، السبت، القوات الإسرائيلية بارتكاب عدة «مجازر بشعة» هذا الأسبوع، أسفرت عن سقوط عشرات القتلى في مخيم جباليا، ومنطقة تل الزعتر، وفي بلدة جباليا. وبحسب القدرة، أعدم الجيش الإسرائيلي «العشرات من المواطنين في الشوارع».
من جانبه، قال الجيش الإسرائيلي أمس: إن 9 جنود قتلوا في قطاع غزة، ليرتفع العدد المعلن للقتلى في العمليات القتالية هناك إلى 152 منذ الاجتياح البري الإسرائيلي للقطاع في 20 أكتوبر. وهذه الحصيلة هي من الأكبر منذ بدء الهجوم البري على القطاع.
وبعد نحو 3 أشهر من بدء الحرب بين إسرائيل وحركة حماس، أعلنت الأخيرة اكتشاف جثث عشرات الفلسطينيين، قالت: إن عدداً منهم «أعدموا» خلال عملية برية إسرائيلية في جباليا بشمال قطاع غزة. سياسياً، أجرى الرئيس الأميركي جو بايدن السبت مكالمة هاتفية «طويلة» مع رئيس الوزراء الإسرائيلي بنيامين نتنياهو حضّه فيها على حماية المدنيين، وفق ما أعلن البيت الأبيض في بيان.
وأصدر مسؤولون إسرائيليون بياناً مقتضباً عن المكالمة، جاء فيه أن «رئيس الوزراء أوضح أن إسرائيل ستواصل الحرب حتى تحقق جميع أهداف.
من جانبها، حذرت منظمة الأمم المتحدة للطفولة «يونيسف» من أن خطر الموت من الجوع أصبح «حقيقياً» في غزة. ودعت اليونيسف بحسابها على منصة «إكس» إلى وصول المساعدات الإنسانية بشكل سريع وآمن ودون عوائق إلى غزة. وأضافت: الأطفال والأسر في قطاع غزة يواجهون الآن العنف من الجو، والحرمان من الأرض مع احتمال أن الأسوأ لم يأت بعد.
عولمة الصراعات واتصال ميادينها – د.عبدالله بن موسى الطاير
عولمة الصراعات واتصال ميادينها – د.عبدالله بن موسى الطاير
د.عبدالله بن موسى الطاير
صديقي جيمس مثَله كمثل شريحة كبيرة من الأمريكيين المحافظين، متشكك في سياسات الديموقراطيين، ومتوجس في توجهاتهم العالمية، ويعتقد أن طبقة النبلاء الحاكمة في بلاده تتعمد استضافة البشر من جميع أنحاء العالم لتغيير الطبيعة الديموغرافية لبلاده، وكسر مقاومة المحافظين عن طريق صناديق الانتخابات، وتعمل تلك النخب الحاكمة (الدولة العميقة) على إفساد الرأسمالية، وإنشاء نظام إقطاعي جديد يبتلع مناطق واسعة من العالم. الاستعمار في معجم جيمس تدرج في أربع مراحل بدءا بحقبة الإمبراطوريات التي استعمرت العالم القديم، ثم عصبة الأمم المتحدة، فالأمم المتحدة لنصل إلى النسخة الرابعة المتمثلة في العولمة.
الجزم بما ذهب إليه الصديق العزيز من أن العولمة شكل جديد من أشكال الاستعمار مهمة كؤود، فهناك تعقيدات وجدل لم يحسم بعد. من يقولون إن العولمة من أضرب الاستعمار لهم حجج قوية، وللمعارضين حججهم أيضًا. تحرير المصطلحات قد يساعد في سبر هذه الإشكالات ببعض السلاسة.
العولمة هي الترابط المتزايد بين اقتصادات العالم وثقافاته وسياساته، مدفوعة بعوامل مثل تحرير التجارة، والتقدم التكنولوجي، وصعود الشركات متعددة الجنسيات. أما الاستعمار فهو سيطرة سياسية مباشرة من قبل دولة على أخرى، وعادة ما تنطوي على استغلال الموارد والعمالة، إذا لم يكن استعباد الشعوب المستعمرة وسرقة ثرواتها.
الذي يجعل العولمة استعمارًا جديدًا هو هيمنتها الاقتصادية، فالدول المتقدمة تكرس التجارة العالمية لاستغلال الدول النامية، أخذًا في الاعتبار شروط التجارة غير المتكافئة، وممارسات العمل غير العادلة، واحتكار الموارد فيما يشبه الاستعمار الاقتصادي. يضاف للبعد الاقتصادي الهيمنة الثقافية، الماثلة في اكتساح الثقافة الغربية المجتمعات البشرية بسبب تحكم الدول الصناعية الغربية في تدفق المعلومات من الشمال إلى الجنوب، والترويج للنزعة الاستهلاكية، والثقافة الشعبية (الكاجوال) وهو ما يمكن اعتباره شكلاً من أشكال الإمبريالية الثقافية، مما يقوض التقاليد والهويات المحلية. ليست الهيمنة الاقتصادية والثقافية فحسب، وإنما تتسبب العولمة في فقدان السيادة حيث يُنظر إلى النفوذ المتزايد للمنظمات الدولية، وهياكل الإدارة العالمية على أنها تفضي إلى تآكل سيادة الدول القومية، وخاصة دول العالم الثالث.
غير أن الرافضين لتصنيف العولمة نسخة رابعة من نسخ الاستعمار يدفعون بأن العولمة تعزز المنافع المتبادلة، وتوفر فرصًا للدول النامية للمشاركة في الاقتصاد العالمي، والوصول إلى أسواق وتقنيات جديدة، وتحسين مستويات المعيشة. ويشيرون إلى أمثلة على التنمية الاقتصادية الناجحة والحد من الفقر التي سهلتها العولمة. إضافة إلى أن التواصل الوثيق اقتصاديا وثقافيًا بين أطراف العالم يمثل قوة إيجابية، ويعزز التعاون والمسؤولية المشتركة لمواجهة التحديات العالمية مثل تغير المناخ والأوبئة. كما أن ديناميكيات القوة المتطورة المتمثلة في صعود قوى اقتصادية جديدة مثل الصين والهند يخلق تحديا لهيمنة الغرب، مما يسمح بنظام عالمي أكثر تعددية وإنصافًا.
هناك حاجة إلى تجنب التشبيهات التبسيطية بين السيطرة السياسية المباشرة للاستعمار، وديناميكيات العولمة. رغم وجود مخاوف مشروعة فيما يتصل بعدم المساواة الاقتصادية، والتجانس الثقافي، وتآكل السيادة، فإن العولمة تقدم أيضاً فرصاً لا يمكن إنكارها للتنمية والتعاون والاعتماد المتبادل للمصالح مما يجعل السلم والأمن شرطًا لازمًا لازدهار التبادل بين الدول ويوجه جهود الجميع للإسهام في تحقيق هذا الشرط ولو من الناحية النظرية.
أظن أن الحراك السياسي الذي يجتاح الولايات المتحدة الأمريكية، وهو بالطبع عابر للمحيط باتجاه الغرب القديم، يدفع بالتفسيرات المتشائمة والتشكك في مقاصد العولمة، كما أن احتدام الصدام بين أيديولوجيتين متقابلتين تنتمي كل منهما لحزب سياسي كبير يجعل من المتعذر الوقوف على مشتركات تؤطر النقاش وتعقلنه. ما يخيف الأمريكيين من المعسكرين أن القوى الطامحة تقضم المزيد من المصالح المنتزعة من فم الأسد الأمريكي الجريح، كما أنها تستغل التورط الأمريكي الرسمي في الحرب الروسية الأوكرانية وحرب إسرائيل على غزة وفقدان أمريكا ومعها المنظومة الغربية لأهم عوامل قوتها التي اجتاحت بها العقول والمشاعر والمتمثلة في الحريات وحقوق الإنسان. لقد سقطت أمريكا سقوطًا فتح شهية المنافسين إلى تحدي نفوذها القائم على هذه الدعاوى، وهو أمر لا يجب الاحتفال به دون النظر إلى ما يمكن أن يجره هذا التقهقر الأخلاقي والقيمي، على قوة عسكرية عظمى كأمريكا، من تبعات، واضعين في الحسبان أن لديها القوة الكافية لشن حروب عدة في آن واحد، وربما تنزع إلى إعادة تشكيل النظام العالمي، لتتموضع من جديد، ولكن بحرب كونية ثالثة.
المؤشرات تقول إن العولمة لم تعد اقتصادية وثقافية ولا حتى قوة استعمارية جديدة، وإنما هي في الوضع الراهن تجاوزت تخويلها التقليدي إلى عولمة النزاعات وتصدير الأزمات، والاتصال الوشيك بين الحرب في أوكرانيا والحرب في غزة، وهو ما يفتح بوابة الاحتمالات السيئة على مصاريعها.