التصنيف: أخبار

  • Strikes on Yemen a high-risk balancing act that could trigger regional war | World News

    Strikes on Yemen a high-risk balancing act that could trigger regional war | World News

    Strikes on Yemen a high-risk balancing act that could trigger regional war | World News

    Strikes on Yemen a high-risk balancing act that could trigger regional war | World News

    A barrage of British and American air and naval strikes against Iranian-backed Houthis in Yemen is a calculated escalation to deter threats – but it could yet trigger a regional war.

    The key test will be how the militants and their arch sponsor, Tehran, respond. The Houthis were quick to claim they would retaliate against US and UK warships in the Red Sea.

    Any major counterattack could push the Western allies into direct confrontation with Iran, something both sides have said they want to avoid.

    But this is already the most serious expansion of violence in the region since Israel launched its war against Hamas in Gaza on 7 October. It significantly increases the risk of miscalculation, which could lead to uncontrolled escalation.

    Middle East crisis – latest: US and UK ‘launch strikes against Houthi targets’

    Rishi Sunak, the British prime minister, described the intervention on Thursday night as “limited, necessary and proportionate action in self-defence”.

    Four Royal Air Force Typhoon jets took part, along with US warplanes, warships and a submarine, armed with precision-guided missiles and bombs. Support was also offered by Australia, Bahrain, Canada and the Netherlands.

    The UK said its aircraft used Paveway IV bombs against two Houthi facilities.

    One site, in north-west Yemen, called Bani had been used to launch reconnaissance and attack drones, while the other, at an airfield at Abbs, had been used to fire cruise missiles and drones over the Red Sea, according to a statement from the Ministry of Defence.

    “Several key targets at the airfield were identified and prosecuted by our aircraft,” it said.

    US President Joe Biden warned of more to follow if the threats to global shipping persist.

    Analysis:
    US and UK can’t allow one of the busiest shipping lanes to become the Wild West

    “I will not hesitate to direct further measures to protect our people and the free flow of international commerce as necessary,” he said.

    The night raid against Yemen had been inevitable ever since the Houthis, which control much of the country, defied a warning issued on 3 January by the UK, the US and 12 other countries to stop attacking ships in the Red Sea.

    The group, armed by Iran, started targeting ships linked to Israel in November in protest at the war in Gaza, vowing to keep disrupting maritime traffic until the conflict ends.

    They launched their biggest missile and drone strike to-date just days after the ultimatum to cease fire.

    Such defiance meant a failure to respond would have made the US-led coalition of allies look weak and their threats meaningless.

    Washington learnt to its cost the danger of allowing an enemy to cross a red line and then fail to make them pay the price after Barak Obama, as president, opted against a military intervention against Syria after its leader used chemical weapons against his people in 2013.

    Image:
    An image from Yemen purportedly showing explosions in Hodeidah

    Instead, Russia subsequently mobilised military forces in support of President Bashar al-Assad, bolstering his efforts to crush an internal uprising. The Syrian dictator remains in power and Moscow has grown its footprint and presence in the region.

    With Yemen, the decision to attack in a region already teetering on the brink of wider conflict amid Israel’s war in Gaza is a high-risk balancing act.

    Hit the Houthis too hard and their supporters, most notably Iran, would have to strike back more significantly.

    Yet, if the intervention is not strong enough, it will fail sufficiently to degrade Houthi military capability and not deter further attacks against international shipping.

    Doing nothing, though, was clearly not an option.

    المصدر

    أخبار

    Strikes on Yemen a high-risk balancing act that could trigger regional war | World News

  • مصادر تكشف لـCNN كواليس الإعداد للضربات الأمريكية والبريطانية على مواقع للحوثيين

    مصادر تكشف لـCNN كواليس الإعداد للضربات الأمريكية والبريطانية على مواقع للحوثيين

    مصادر تكشف لـCNN كواليس الإعداد للضربات الأمريكية والبريطانية على مواقع للحوثيين

    مصادر تكشف لـCNN كواليس الإعداد للضربات الأمريكية والبريطانية على مواقع للحوثيين

    (CNN) — كشفت مصادر، لشبكة CNN، الجمعة، الأسباب التي دفعت القوات الأمريكية والبريطانية إلى شن ضربات تستهدف مواقع للحوثيين في اليمن.      

     

    وقال مسؤول أمريكي كبير إن هجمات الحوثيين على السفن في البحر الأحمر يوم الثلاثاء كانت بمثابة القشة التي قصمت ظهر البعير بالنسبة للرئيس الأمريكي جو بايدن الذي أعطى الضوء الأخضر للمضي قدما في تنفيذ الضربات، على الرغم من أن الاستعدادات كانت مستمرة منذ بعض الوقت.

    وأسقطت البحرية الأمريكية، الثلاثاء، 21 صاروخا وطائرة مسيرة تابعة للحوثيين انطلقت من…

    المصدر

    أخبار

    مصادر تكشف لـCNN كواليس الإعداد للضربات الأمريكية والبريطانية على مواقع للحوثيين

  • Hunter Biden to face trial after pleading not guilty to federal tax charges | US News

    Hunter Biden to face trial after pleading not guilty to federal tax charges | US News

    Hunter Biden to face trial after pleading not guilty to federal tax charges | US News

    Hunter Biden to face trial after pleading not guilty to federal tax charges | US News

    Joe Biden’s son has pleaded not guilty to federal tax charges filed after the collapse of a plea deal that could have spared him the spectacle of a criminal trial during the 2024 election campaign.

    Hunter Biden has been accused of nine felony and misdemeanour tax offences.

    The charges stem from what federal prosecutors say was a four-year scheme to skip out on paying the $1.4m (£1.1m) he owed to the IRS and instead use the money to fund an extravagant lifestyle that included drugs and alcohol.

    The judge set a tentative trial date of 20 June during the half-hour hearing.

    Meanwhile, Hunter Biden has also been charged in Delaware with lying in October 2018 on a federal form for gun purchasers when he swore he was not using or addicted to illegal drugs.

    Read more on Hunter Biden:
    Hunter Biden pleads not guilty to three firearm charges
    Republicans hold first hearing in impeachment inquiry

    He was addicted to crack cocaine at the time.

    He is also accused of possessing the gun illegally and has pleaded not guilty in that case.

    The accusations all come from a years-long federal investigation into Hunter Biden’s tax and business dealings that had been expected to wind down over the summer with a plea deal in which he would have got two years’ probation after pleading guilty to misdemeanour tax charges.

    He would also have avoided prosecution on the gun charge if he stayed out of trouble.

    The deal unravelled when a federal judge who had been expected to approve the deal instead began to question it.

    Hunter Biden’s original proposed plea deal with prosecutors had been pilloried as a “sweetheart deal” by Republicans, including Donald Trump.

    The former president is facing his own criminal problems – 91 charges across four separate cases, including that he plotted to overturn the results of the 2020 election, which he lost to Joe Biden, a Democrat.

    He too appeared in court on Thursday in New York for closing arguments in his civil fraud trial.

    المصدر

    أخبار

    Hunter Biden to face trial after pleading not guilty to federal tax charges | US News

  • بيان مشترك لـ10 دول يوضح سبب شن الغارات على مواقع للحوثيين

    بيان مشترك لـ10 دول يوضح سبب شن الغارات على مواقع للحوثيين

    بيان مشترك لـ10 دول يوضح سبب شن الغارات على مواقع للحوثيين

    بيان مشترك لـ10 دول يوضح سبب شن الغارات على مواقع للحوثيين

    (CNN) — أصدرت الولايات المتحدة والمملكة المتحدة و8 دول أخرى، بيانا مشتركا، الجمعة، بشأن الضربات ضد أهداف الحوثيين المدعومين من إيران في اليمن.

     

    وقال البيان الصادر عن حكومات أستراليا، البحرين، كندا، الدنمارك، ألمانيا، هولندا، نيوزيلندا، كوريا الجنوبية، المملكة المتحدة، والولايات المتحدة إن الضربات “تهدف إلى تعطيل وتقليل القدرات التي يستخدمها الحوثيون لتهديد التجارة العالمية وحياة البحارة في أهم الممرات المائية في العالم”.

    وأضاف: “نفذت الولايات المتحدة والمملكة المتحدة، بدعم من…

    المصدر

    أخبار

    بيان مشترك لـ10 دول يوضح سبب شن الغارات على مواقع للحوثيين

  • السعودية تصدر بيانا عن الغارات الأمريكية والبريطانية على مواقع للحوثيين

    السعودية تصدر بيانا عن الغارات الأمريكية والبريطانية على مواقع للحوثيين

    السعودية تصدر بيانا عن الغارات الأمريكية والبريطانية على مواقع للحوثيين

    السعودية تصدر بيانا عن الغارات الأمريكية والبريطانية على مواقع للحوثيين

    (CNN) — أعلنت السعودية، الجمعة، في بيان، أنها “تتابع بقلق بالغ” العمليات العسكرية التي تشهدها منطقة البحر الأحمر والغارات الجوية التي تعرضت لها عدد من المواقع في اليمن.

     

    ووفقا لبيان وزارة الخارجية السعودية،  الذي نشرته وكالة الأنباء الرسمية “واس”،  أكدت المملكة على “أهمية المحافظة على أمن واستقرار منطقة البحر الأحمر التي تعد حرية الملاحة فيها مطلبا دوليا لمساسها بمصالح العالم أجمع، لتدعو إلى ضبط النفس وتجنب التصعيد في ظل ما تشهده المنطقة من أحداث”.

    يذكر أن الرئيس الأمريكي جو…

    المصدر

    أخبار

    السعودية تصدر بيانا عن الغارات الأمريكية والبريطانية على مواقع للحوثيين